Saxophonist Gig Checklist
Its always a great idea to be well prepared for each presentation. Not only musically, emotionally but also making sure that you have the necessary tools to do a good job. The following is a list of things that you should always verify before leaving to your gig or presentation.
1) Name and address of the place. Make sure you print out a map or check on your gps before you leave. Dont trust technology too much, it may fail at the last minute. Make sure you have a phone number for any contacts that you may need to inform in case you get lost or anything prevents you from making it on time.
2) Confirm the Date/Time. Its always a good idea to call a day or two before to make sure that nothing has changed and you have the correct information.
Verify your Equipment. (Make sure that everything is in your bag or case).
3) Your saxophone. (This one is pretty obvious, but I have gotten to a gig before and left my instrument home, so believe me when I say, IT HAPPENS)
4) Mouthpieces / Mouthpiece cushions (if you use them)
5) Reeds, verify that they are the correct reeds and size
6) Strap or harness
7) Cork Grease
8) music stand
9) saxophone stand
10) Lamp for your music stand
12) Music Portfolio (Even if somebody else may bring it, its good to have your own copies if possible)
Other business related items that you should always carry with you:
13) Business cards
14) Demo CD
15) Press Kit
16) Any related Invoice or contract agreements for the event.
I recommend that you print out a list similar to this one and verify before every gig. We can all make mistakes and forget something. It is better to be safe. Did I forget anything? Feel free to add.
oops! Seems like somebody brought his tuner to a gig without batteries! hahaha
I actually always carry 9v, AA and AAA batteries in my bag :)